Wednesday 22 April 2015

Freedom!!!

I was unsure if I should post this because it's not my nature to get super personal on Facebook and I was afraid that a post like this may come off as bragging or boastful. But, after some thought, I decided that God has been too good not share this testimony and that maybe our journey would be helpful to someone else! So, here we go: On November 1, 2011, Brittany and I made the decision to get out of debt. At that time, our non-mortgage debt totaled over $218,000, including student loans (mostly), car notes, credit cards, and a bunch of other stupid miscellaneous debt. The sad thing about my student loans was that only about half of the amount I borrowed was used for tuition, books, room and board. I blew the other half (the "refund check") at Hickory Hollow Mall. I was young and dumb, I guess. But, as of this past Friday, through to the grace of God and after 3 and a half long (very long) years, I am proud to say that we are debt free and the entire $218,000 in debt is finally gone! During this time, we have sacrificed, lived on an extremely tight budget, drove junk cars, carpooled to work, packed lunches, dined in, forwent vacations & furnishing our home, wore old clothes and shoes, rarely shopped, sold personal items and did countless other things to free up money to pay off debt. We also experienced two totaled cars and a failed transmission. But, we kept pushing! While all those things were important and crucial to us getting out of debt, the thing that I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt made the biggest difference was that we Tithed to our church every paycheck for the entire 3 and a half years. I truly believe that God blesses us with everything (i.e. 100%), and if we give Him back the 10% (i.e., the Tithe), He will bless us with a larger 90% to manage for His Kingdom! We saw this happen time and time again: We gave, He blessed. We gave more, He blessed more. It never failed! At times, extra money literally showed up out of no where (no lie). I thank God for giving us the vision and desire to get out of debt, and blessing us with the means and discipline to do so. I also want to shout out Dave Ramsey. We have graduated from (and coordinated) his Financial Peace University class, and I can say that his 7 Baby Steps Plan has changed our lives, our marriage, and our family legacy! His plan works for those who work it. Lastly, I want to thank my beautiful wife, Brittany. You are truly the embodiment of the Proverbs 31 Woman. Spouses have to be on the same page for this plan to work, and you couldn't have been any more on board (even more so then me at times). For all of you going through the process of getting out of debt (or thinking about it), all I can say to you is keep pushing and, definitely keep (or start) giving! Being on this side, I can tell you that's it's all worth it and then some! We finally have that FREEDOM we've been working toward for so long! On to Baby Step 3... Thanks and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment