Monday 11 April 2016

Black and White Kid's Room In Progress

Have you ever had what you thought was a simple plan but it turned out not so simple? That is exactly how Aggie's big girl room has gone. The plan was to keep to a simple black and white palette. That way the room is modern and bright but also a calm place to sleep and a neutral backdrop for all the colorful stuff she will add to it.  I knew I didn't want to clutter this room with many pieces so it should be easy, right?  WRONG!

Turns out that black and white items aren't as easy to find.  So I blame that (and you know the constant exhaustion that is pregnancy) for this room taking an age to finish.

We started with the Jenny Lind bed which I was fortunate enough to find used but in the wrong color. I was worried painting it might be a bad idea but I'm so glad I did.  It looks so much better and more graphic in black!

The biggest dilemma were window treatments. I searched for months to find something that would work but nothing quite fit the bill. I finally admitted I was never going to find what I had wanted off a rack and turned to Tonic Living for something custom. As usual they were so helpful and created something beautiful.  The drapes are blackout (key if I ever want to sleep past dawn!) lined and made of a lovely linen. Custom are definitely a splurge but so worth it!  I don't know what took me so long to make that decision but here we are.

I also had the hardest time with bed linens but I sort of gave up the ghost on that one mixing a polkadot comforter and a grey + white ruffle quilt set to get close enough.

So this side of the room is done.  I just have to work on the other side (ha!  You thought this was finished?  Nope!) before the impeding August deadline and I'll be golden.

I won't move Aggie in until the room is finished but she loves coming in here to play.  Hopefully that will make the big girl room transition easier when the time comes.




No comments:

Post a Comment