Thursday 12 November 2015

Debt Free in One Year

I had always been taught to save my money, but never learned to effectively budget. I avoided debt as much as possible and even paid off $25,000 in student loan debt in 1.5 years after graduate school. I never had credit card debt in my 20s and would always pay off my monthly bills. I thought I was good with money until I started an expensive habit of ballroom dancing at the age of 29. I loved dancing, but quickly racked up $10,000 in credit card debt because I was spending money I didn't have and not using any kind of budget. I also made a hasty and bad decision to get braces at the age of 30. I was initially told that insurance would cover half the cost of the braces, but after I had them put on, I found out nothing was covered because I was an adult! I was so mad at myself for creating so much debt at the age of 30, thinking I should have known better. This was not the way I wanted to start my 30s. I looked for budgeting solutions but could never find the right one and would still spend more than I had. One day at work, a coworker happened to mention a book she liked, which was the Total Money Makeover. I looked up the book and bought it online. Once I got the book, I read it in two days and loved every page. I reread certain chapters because they were such good advice, I desperately needed. I found a great budgeting tool and started my debt snowball. I used the phrase "gazelle intensity" every time I was faced with the option of buying something. I worked a second job of housesitting to earn extra money. Within a year of my 30th birthday, I had completely paid off my debt. At the age of 31, I am now completely debt free and I paid off my final credit card bill the day before my birthday. It was the best present I could have ever given myself. I am now saving for a used (not new because they lose value, like Dave says!) car. I am so excited to soon be able to buy my car! Anytime anyone brings up leasing a car, the first thing I say is "a lease is a fleece." I am so grateful for Dave's amazing book that inspired me to work hard to change my life for the better. The guilt and anger towards myself is gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment